Do you start your month with good intentions of sticking to $X amount for groceries and then all of the sudden it is the end of the month and that money is GONE?
Here are 5 ways I have survived the end of the month shortage of funds in the grocery area.
Did you stock up on chicken last month and have some in the freezer still? Do you have some chicken broth, cream of mushroom, or cans of anything in the pantry.
Even if it is 1 jar of sauce, a single frozen meal, write it down.
List your meats, vegetables, sauces, frozen meals and more. Many times I buy things that are a good deal and they are sitting in the pantry or freezer but I have never used them.
This is my #1 Go To Website when I am trying to stretch things out. Go to the “Ingredient Search” section. Add the ingredients that you have on hand. It will show you meals you can make with what you have-or maybe you only need to buy 1 or 2 things to make something instead of buying for a whole extra meal.
If you have some chicken, cream of mushroom and some frozen broccoli- there is a long list of items you can make. When I pulled this up- I realized I had rice too and I had 2 meals I could make that did not cost me any extra. This could make your list shorter.
Make a menu from where you are-until the end of the month. Add the meals that you can make with what you have to the menu. If you have to have cereal everyday-write it down. If you or your kids won’t like what is on the menu-writing it down and informing them will prepare them and let them get mad all at once so they can get over it before meal time.
If you would like the meal planner and shopping list in one form I created-email me Diana@pantryoverflow.com and I will send it to you!
#4 Be Creative.
If your kids are a little bit older you can tell them ” I am not going to go grocery shopping for ____ days. What can we make out of what we have?
- *Breakfast for dinner-pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, breakfast burritos, cereal.
- *Everyone has a different item– Many times I clean out the fridge or freezer with random items and I tell everyone I am trying to use up what we have so that I can buy more groceries. One of them will have a pot pie, another Cup of Noodles, a chicken quesadilla, whatever I pull out that needs to be used up.
- Create meals that have the same ingredients. Ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese can give make you cheeseburgers, tacos, nachos, and salad. This will shorten your list and stretch it out without feeling like you are eating the same meals.
#5 Plan for next month.
Sometimes there is just nothing you can do because you already blew it. Happens to everyone. BUT- are you going to do it again next month? You can decide that right now. Figure out where you went wrong this month. Did you spend too much at the beginning? Did you buy too much at Costco or Sam’s Club and not have enough for actual food? Did you buy too many “really good deals” but not have enough for “really good food”? Did you make a menu, a list, a budget? By figuring out where it went wrong and deciding how you can correct the problem, you can avoid it happening again. If it is the end of the month-you only have a few days to start over! Look ahead to next month and start planning now. Do you have events, parties, school lunches etc? Make sure your shopping list has these items on there so you will make less trips to the store and not buy any unnecessary items.
- Stay out of the store. If you don’t go in, you wont spend any money.
- Do not use your credit card. Even though it is tempting-it is a temporary solution and you will end up here again.
- If you do go into the store-stick to your menu, list, and budget. NO EXTRAS.
- Do not go crazy at the beginning of the month just because you finally have money again. Think the whole month through if you have to.
- Do not go out to eat. Yes, it is easier-but that money could go towards meals at home.
- Stick to the sale items in the ad and use your coupons.
- There will be MORE deals again when you have money-don’t let that fear of missing out actually cause you to miss out! Deals cycle through again.
If you are in this or a similar situation and need more specific help-please feel free to email me your situation and I would love to further help you. I have been in many different financial situations over the years and yet I have survived. Just email Diana@pantryoverflow.com!
**NO COUPONS NEEDED**
1. Buy 5 Boxes of General Mills Cereal included in the $1.49 sale.
2. Enter your phone number AFTER THE CEREAL IS SCANNED. If you enter your phone number first then your total will not be high enough to trigger the $5 back coupon.
3. Pay $7.45 and get $5 back.
4. Follow steps 1-3 and pay with the $5 Catalina and pay $2.45 and get $5 back-as many times as you would like
5. If you do have coupons you can use them-there are also $1 off 2 coupons you can add to your Safeway card as well.
6-this can work with Nature Valley Granola Bars and the General Mills Fruit Snacks too- nobody really likes those in my house so I just did cereal.
** I recommend self-checkout. Just let the cashier know what you are doing and then you won’t be holding up a line of people.
Wednesday June 5 and Thursday June 6 ONLY,
Sweet Red Cherries $1.99 lb.
80% Ground Beef $1.48 lb-Mega Pack LIMIT2
Value Corner Eggs 18ct. $.99 LIMIT 2
General Mills Cheerios $.99
Use $1 off 2 from 6/2 SS
Pepsi or 7 Up Mini Cans 6 ct. $.99
Oreo Cookies $.99
Buy 2, Use $.75 off 2 from 5/19 SS
Here is a deal I got on Magnum Ice Cream
Magnum Pints and Bars $2.98
I bought 8 Bars and 5 Pints
Submitted for $5 at
Received $5 back from SavingStar App
You need to set this up and add the offer BEFORE you shop- once you put in your phone number from the app and Safeway card-it automatically gives you the rebate
Also went to IceCreamRewards.com for ANOTHER $5 Reward!
=$16.47 for 13 Magnum Items
(and I really suggest the white chocolate strawberry bars!)
Here are the best deals at Safeway this week! Definitely a great time to stock up on some items if you have the budget left for this month!
One thing I love about holidays is the awesomedeals-you can usually take advantage of them to cut your budget for the next month or two if you stock up!
These deals start Wednesday May 22-May 28!
You could seriously stock up for EVERY Summer BBQ you plan on having THIS WEEK!
Here is a list of the meat deals – I suggest stocking your freezer if you can! Freezer bags are Buy 1 for $2.79 get 2 FREE at Walgreens this week!
- 80% Ground Beef $1.99 lb,
- St. Louis Style Ribs $1.99 lb.
- New York Style Sausages $1.99
- Boneless Beef Tri-Tip $2.99 lb.
- Jennie-O Ground Turkey 1lb. $2.99
- Signature Farms Chicken-Drumsticks, Thighs Leg Quarters $.99 lb.
- Ball Park Franks $.99 each
- New York Strip Steaks $6.99 lb.
- Nathan’s or Hebrew National Franks $1.99 w/ad coupon
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauve is $.88 (when you buy 4 mix or match items)
Use $1 off 3 Sweet Baby Rays coupon from 5/19 Smart Source
Nabisco Crackers $1.88
Use $.75 off 2 Nabisco Items from 5/19 SS
= $1.50 each
Pasta Roni or Rice-A-Roni $.88 each
Goldfish Crackers $1.49
Signature Select Hot Dog or Hamburger Buns $.99 each w/ad coupon
Sliced, Shredded, or Block Cheese 8 oz. $1.77 w/ad coupon
Quaker Granola Bars $1.49
Silk Almond Milk 64 oz. $1.99 each
Skippy Peanut Butter $1.88
Tostitos Chips $1.99 each
Cheez-Its 7.5-12.4 oz (larger boxes)
Cheez-It Snapped $1.99 each-Print $.75 off HERE
7 Up and A&W 2 Liters $.99 each
Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent $2.99
Dreyers Ice Cream $2.78
Doritos or Ruffles Chips $1.99 w/ad coupon
5 Firday 5/24 ONLY Deals!
- Kettle Chips 3 for $5
- Signature Select Bottled Water 24 pk. 2 for $5
- Oven Joy Sandwich Bread 5 for $5
- Belvita Biscuits 3 for $5-use $.75 off 2 from 5/19 SS
- La Tortilla Factory Tortillas 3 for $5
- La Victoria Salsa or Taco Sauce 3 for $5
- Dial Liquid Hand Soap 5 for $5
- Rosina Meatballs $5
- Talenti Gelato Quarts $5
- Lucerne Gallon Ice Cream $5
- Hormel Chili With Beans 5 for $5
- Minute Maid refrigerated lemonades 3 for $5
- Large Haas Avocados 3 for $5
- Personal Watermelons 2 for $5
- Dozen Donuts $5
- Fresh Strawberry Cake $5
- 8 Piece Fried Chicken PLUS Coca Cola $5
Each one is worth tokens which you can redeem for rewards
you may win some FREE items!!!
I scored a FREE Tall Coffee today!!!! The prizes will just load to your card!
I also earned enough tokens for a $25 Grocery Gift Card. I have won BOGO Bowling passes, Shutterfly prizes, and other coupons so far..
You can print 2 of each coupon per computer!
Save $2.00 any ONE (1) PULL-UPS® Training Pants or GOODNITES® Nighttime Pants or Bed Mats (Not valid on 7 ct. or less)
Save $0.50 any ONE (1) package of HUGGIES® Wipes (48 ct. or higher)
Save $1.00 on any FOUR (4) Gerber® Snack Items
Save $2.00 any ONE (1) package of HUGGIES® Diapers (Not valid on 9 ct. or less)
Save $1.00 on any SIX (6) Gerber® Puree 2-Pack Tubs
Save $1.00 on any FOUR (4) Gerber® Pouches or Glass Jars
Save $1.50 any ONE (1) package of HUGGIES® LITTLE SWIMMERS® Disposable Swimpants (10 ct. or larger)
Safeway’s best deals this week are with their AD COUPONS!
$1.99 lb. 80% Lean Ground Beef!
Limit 2 Packages
Shredded Cheese 2lbs $4.99 Limit 2
Classico Pasta Sauce $1.77
Here are a couple ideas for a budget friendly menu this week-
Meat, Cheddar Cheese, $1 Avocados, Spanish Rice-A-Roni $.88-Tacos or Nachos??
Meat, Mozzarella Cheese, Marinara Sauce-Spaghetti or Lasagna?
Softly 12 Double Rolls $3.99
Thirsty paper Towels 6ct $3.99
Not name brand, but have used it before-great price if you need it!